I have been using this serum religiously for the past ~6 months. How useful is it and what does it do exactly?
My skin type: Normal with dry patches (lip, eye and forehead area); prone to acne.
About — What is Hyaluronic Acid?
The Ordinary’s Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 is a highly affordable serum that acts as moisture support.
Hyaluronic acid has become one of those common skincare “buzz terms” because it’s used in so many products. It can “attract up to 1000 times its weight in water“, meaning that it pulls water to the surface of your face, giving it the feeling of being hydrated. I’ve seen some reviewers state that using this means you can skip moisturizer — don’t. It definitely doesn’t mean that! A serum (especially a HA serum) and moisturizer serve two different purposes. If you aren’t careful, you’ll end up drying your skin out.
Cruelty-free, alcohol-free, silicone-free, sulfate-free, paraben-free, fungal-acne safe. Check Skincarisma for more details.
Includes sodium hyaluronate as the second ingredient, glycerin, and panthenol which are conditioning for the skin.
Full list here.
Review & How-To
I’ve been using this serum night and day for roughly the past 6 months.
It has helped to soothe and keep dry spots (eczema) away, as well as give a boost of hydration in the moment, which is very useful before applying moisturizer, harsher serums, and makeup.
I feel that it’s complemented my moisturizers well, but obviously the primary way I actually moisturize my face for the day is through the moisturizers alone.
Being honest, I only realized how important this serum is for my routine when I ran out of it and didn’t have it for a few days (I tend to be under-appreciative when I have something and take it for granted!). My skin felt tighter, and my moisturizers didn’t feel as effective. That moisture boost, or support, that Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 gives is incredibly useful, especially if you have dry skin.
- Great for normal, oily and dry skin types that require some extra hydration
- Absorbs almost instantly
- No pilling/flaking
- Safe for every day use and can be used with majority of other skincare products
Tips for application:
I went through my first bottle way too fast and I realized it was because I was not using the product effectively.
- Apply it on clean, damp skin. Or, at least apply to a dry, freshly-cleaned face with damp fingers. Your face/fingers don’t need to be soaking wet, but I find that using water helps the product spread easily, thereby reducing the amount you need for your face. Before I used this method, I was using up way too much product way too quickly because it would dry out almost instantly.
- Use it before heavy serums, oils, and moisturizer
- Use it to complement your moisturizer, not to replace it
Final Thoughts — Worth it?
Given the affordable price point, this product is an obvious choice for those with normal, dry or oily skin types who want a moisture boost. I’ll certainly be repurchasing it, as I have already bought and finished two bottles! When I am without it, I can feel the difference in my skin and it is not pleasant…this serum makes all the difference.
Thanks for reading ❤